What Cold Mountain Zen Does
Cold Mountain Zen, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit with the mission to provide for the preservation and transmission of the teaching and practice of Rinzai Zen Buddhism in New Jersey. Cold Mountain Zen is reliant upon volunteer efforts and financial contributions to achieve the following goals:
- Establish a residential center in New Jersey in which the ongoing training and practice of Zen meditation—the foundation of Zen—is offered
- Provide Zen meditation open to the public in multiple locations
- Offer regularly scheduled meditation retreats (sesshin), which include talks on Zen practice and private interviews with the teacher
- Promote lay practice—offering dharma teachings to the wider community—and provide for priest training
- Engage in outreach to the public, vulnerable populations, and interfaith communities
- Model and teach practices of healthy and sustainable living
- Contribute to the growth of knowledge in the areas of Zen, Buddhism, meditation, and related arts of living
- Disseminate through publication and other means information about Zen tradition, Buddhism, and meditation.
How You Can Help
By becoming a member! Your annual membership supports the entire Cold Mountain Zen sangha by ensuring that there are ongoing sits and sesshin. By supporting the sangha, you are helping others to practice and at the same time, deepening your own spiritual practice. And as a member, you become eligible to vote at meetings of the general membership. Membership is tax-deductible. To learn more about membership, click here.
By donating! By adding a tax-deductible donation today, you will help to make sitting possible for anyone who is interested, whether they are new to sangha or a long-time participant. Your support will defray the costs of rent for our practice venues and sesshin locations, create a scholarship fund to subsidize sesshin for those who need support, and provide supplies for each sit, including incense and tea, and replace worn out zafu or zabuton.
If you prefer to pay by check, download and print this form, and mail with your check made payable to “Cold Mountain Zen” to Cold Mountain Zen, Box 101, Kingston, NJ 08528